You are not logged in.

#1 16 Jun 2009 8:40

Ethan
Lowter Staff
Message  Website

Opera Unite

I figured we needed a dedicated thread for discussing Opera Unite: http://unite.opera.com/

Ethan, Managing Director of Lowter
Blog | American Swedish Institute | Save the Internet

#2 16 Jun 2009 8:48

Ethan
Lowter Staff
Message  Website

Re: Opera Unite

Also, feel free to Digg our story: http://digg.com/tech_news/Opera_Unite_S … roblems_of

Yes, Digg seemed to just remove all the "___".  A bug I pressume.

#3 17 Jun 2009 12:11

lotrgamemast
Lowter Staff
Message  Website

I've not had a play yet but I will do soon smile

#4 17 Jun 2009 12:54

Frenzie
Loco Lowter Member
Message  Website

I've got to say, I love the doomsday atmosphere. The tutorial strongly reminds me of the tutorial of some random game.

Anyway, I love how it allows for file sharing without the need to set up an FTP server or something like that, which should definitely be easier than explaining to them how to install Filezilla or how to use FTP in Explorer. I'll have to actually look into it later.

Edit: hmm, it only semi-works in Firefox. http://mel-desktop.frenzie.operaunite.c … r/content/ append the name of this site to the URL to access.

Edit 2: I think the media player is sort of buggy. http://mel-desktop.frenzie.operaunite.com/fridge/ Here's the fridge.

Last edited by Frenzie (17 Jun 2009 16:31)

Intelligent alien life does exist, otherwise they would have contacted us.

#5 18 Jun 2009 17:21

lotrgamemast
Lowter Staff
Message  Website

I've had a play and it looks like an interesting technology. I'm not sure how much it will get used though as its main limitation is only being avaliable when the pc is turned on. A bit of a problem for me as I have a laptop.

For anyone that's intested here's my page:

unite://laptop.lotrgamemast.operaunite.com/

Pretty much the only public thing at the minute is the fridge but feel free to leave me a nice message smile

#6 19 Jun 2009 11:20

Ethan
Lowter Staff
Message  Website

I have the same issue with having only a laptop.  Nevertheless, I can see how it can be useful, especially for quickly sharing files or bringing up a chatroom on demand.  I guess some sort of off-line support would be nice, but I'm not sure how they'd do it without muddling too much.  I could see Opera caching new info to your page, sending it to you when you're available, and then clear that cache.

#7 19 Jun 2009 15:17

Frenzie
Loco Lowter Member
Message  Website

lotrgamemast wrote:

I've had a play and it looks like an interesting technology. I'm not sure how much it will get used though as its main limitation is only being avaliable when the pc is turned on. A bit of a problem for me as I have a laptop.

The most important reason I have for running lighttpd (aside from testing some code now and then) is so that I can link people to folders in the phpGraphy installation I'm running. The loss of .htconfig is a pity, but I've got it sufficiently locked down and I don't do much else with it (it's literally like twice as fast as Apache on my computer). Since desktop on == Opera on for me, it wouldn't make much of a difference, other than that Opera Unite brings such functionality to everyone with ease. Setting up any webserver is not a pleasure on Windows.

Ideally, I'd build a completely passively cooled, energy efficient server running Debian or Ubuntu server, but realistically speaking I really have no need for such a thing. It's a lot easier than uploading it to Photobucket/Flickr and/or sending with IM client, anyway. And I don't really need people browsing my pictures while I'm not sending links through IM. Hence why I currently require user + pass on my photo gallery. Now I'm not claiming that this will in any way remove my need for running an FTP server, an SSH server or even an HTTP server, but I do think it brings something I've been doing for years within the grasp of a lot more people (and also makes it easier for me, no matter how comfortable I may feel in server .conf files).

The SSH server isn't really necessary of course, but I run it through Cygwin, which enables me to do things like wget to my desktop computer through PUTTY while I'm in low bandwidth or relatively low resolution conditions, or even when that's not the case, just because it's faster. Then again, you can apply similar reasoning to any server I'm running, and each has their use. SSH can also be quite relevant for tunneling VNC to make it more secure, and in the end FTP is THE single most important server I'm running. What better way to quickly grab my files or upload new ones?

Um, I'll stop blabbing. But either way, there's quite a big difference between doing things like sharing some music or picturse with multiple friends and running a complete set of servers for advanced, secure, remote access to your computer.

Last edited by Frenzie (19 Jun 2009 15:18)

#8 19 Jun 2009 15:41

Ethan
Lowter Staff
Message  Website

I see Opera Unite's purpose, and that certainly isn't to replace web servers.  However, I think the technology has a lot of benefits and makes on-the-fly sharing pretty easy.  As Frenzie said, it is very easy to just send someone a link to your Opera Unite file page, instead of explaining FTP.  Even linking to an HTTP file directory is a tad confusing for non-tech people.

In Opera Unite, I would like to see more drag-and-drop ability for pictures and files though.  Pointing it at a directory works, but I think I would like a slightly better interface for managing the stuff I share through Unite.  Nonetheless, I really like the overall interface and the icons and such.

I want to play around and develop an Opera Unite service, but I don't have any ideas yet.

#9 19 Jun 2009 16:34

Frenzie
Loco Lowter Member
Message  Website

Another thing I hadn't really thought of, I can just quickly point Unite to one subdirectory of all of my photos. In phpGraphy I'm working with several access levels to directories etc, which is sort of over the top for the way in which I use it. It's just that I want all of my photos available to me and only subsets to most others. Now Unite allows to to quickly and easily set up "subsets" of my entire photo collection while I can stop bothering with that in phpGraphy. I've got to see I'm quite pleased even with it in its current form already.

Board footer