You are not logged in.

#1 02 Dec 2008 14:39

Ethan
Lowter Staff
Message  Website

Do you use Flash?

Has anyone here actually used Flash on a public website?  I've toyed around with it in the past, but I always find HTML, CSS, and JS to be a better overal solution because it's more accessible and it just works.  Plus it loads faster than most Flash-heavy websites (Flash can be optimised, but how often is it?).  Most computers now have Flash, but I still don't see a reason to jump on the bandwagon.

Adobe has released a few new tools that make Flash development look pretty appealing though, such as Flex and AIR.

Ethan, Managing Director of Lowter
Blog | American Swedish Institute | Save the Internet

#2 02 Dec 2008 16:17

lotrgamemast
Lowter Staff
Message  Website

Re: Do you use Flash?

I can see you listen to the sitepoint podcast tongue

Personally I don't use FLash for anything as I just see it as fluff really. Can't think of any situation where its better than using straigh HTML or HTML with some JavaScript in it.

#3 02 Dec 2008 17:43

Ethan
Lowter Staff
Message  Website

Haha, yeah I was listening to the SitePoint Podcast yesterday morning and liked the topic.

The reason I was steared away from Flash is because when I first started using Flash it took way more time to code something in Flash than it did with HTML, CSS, and JS.  One only used Flash for a "pretty" website, when they wanted to disregard accessibility completely.  Now though, Flash is a more attractive medium because:

1) It works across browsers and computers fairly well.
2) An overwhelming majority of Internet users have Flash.
3) Adobe Flex brings a lot more potential for Flash-based applications.
4) You can develop rich, beautiful interfaces much easier.

However, I don't think I'll start using Flash any time soon because it still is a lot to learn for me, when I have traditional tools right at my fingertips.

#4 02 Dec 2008 18:52

Frenzie
Loco Lowter Member
Message  Website

I don't like it when I encounter Flash. I primarily consider it a necessary evil to watch videos at this point in time, and perhaps sometimes an amusing way to spend a few minutes on some brainless Flash game. Aaaand perhaps Google Streetview. That's about it.

Intelligent alien life does exist, otherwise they would have contacted us.

#5 02 Dec 2008 20:15

Ethan
Lowter Staff
Message  Website

I do consider it the best option for viewing video because it simply works for the most amount of people.  I hate when I encounter some video format I cannot get to play in Quicktime or VLC or something.

#6 03 Dec 2008 1:36

lotrgamemast
Lowter Staff
Message  Website

If you ever find something that wont play in VLC please tell me, I'm yet to find anything wink

Watching videos in flash is fine as that's sort of what Flash was made to do. It's when the website is made in Flash that I get annoyed and leave as I can never find anything at all on the site.

#7 03 Dec 2008 8:14

Frenzie
Loco Lowter Member
Message  Website

I hate when I encounter some video format I cannot get to play in Quicktime or VLC or something.

I think you already mentioned one. It's called Flash. smile Okay, it doesn't apply to FLV, since that's simply a weird container for fairly standard MPEG-4, but still... Besides, for things like proper captioning a container like MKV is a lot better than any other container out there. And it would play on VLC, depending on the data streams. I'm personally especially annoyed by WMV and MOV. Stuff like RealPlayer is worse, but essentially absent nowadays.

It's when the website is made in Flash that I get annoyed and leave as I can never find anything at all on the site.

Yeah, you can't even do normal things like copy links, or in the case of Opera, browse by keyboard... or in the case of Flash disabled, do anything at all...

People on computers may have Flash installed for the most part, but on cellphones matters are quite different.

Intelligent alien life does exist, otherwise they would have contacted us.

#8 03 Dec 2008 11:14

Ethan
Lowter Staff
Message  Website

If you ever find something that wont play in VLC please tell me, I'm yet to find anything

Anything BBC (Radio 1 for example) requires me to download RealPlayer and doesn't work for me in VLC.

#9 04 Dec 2008 16:56

Tom
Loco Lowter Member
Message  Website

Ethan wrote:

If you ever find something that wont play in VLC please tell me, I'm yet to find anything

Anything BBC (Radio 1 for example) requires me to download RealPlayer and doesn't work for me in VLC.

You can listen to BBC through VLC. http://dave.org.uk/streams/ has links directly to the streams and you can put them in VLC.

Must be different for America but we don't use the RealPlayer anymore, it's all done through the iPlayer bigsmile

I don't like flash and never really used it. I remember messing around with it a bit when I was younger but not really bothered. I hate it when a website is purely flash, it means I can't browse if the way I want to and often loads slowly and has annoying music.

Meaning of life: we learn a bunch of stuff then we die.
http://www.thehardcorelife.com
http://blog.thehardcorelife.com

#10 04 Dec 2008 17:17

Ethan
Lowter Staff
Message  Website

We don't have the iPlayer thing internationally yet.  The BBC Radio streams won't play with anything other than RealPlayer for me!  It's rather annoying.  It's the same for Sveriges Radio as well.

Purely Flash websites have so many issues from accessibility to search engines, I don't know why anyone would ever want to have them.

Board footer